Made a Mistake On Your Form 990? We’ve Got You Covered!

You completed and transmitted your tax return on time – even better, the IRS accepted your form on the first attempt with no questions asked. However, after looking through your copy, you noticed that you misspelled a donor or employee name, your mission or program service statement isn’t entirely correct, or you forgot to include a last-minute fundraising event.

No matter what the mistake is, you need to make corrections and transmit this new information to the IRS as soon as possible. With, we have you covered with our amended return support for IRS Form 990 and Form 990-EZ!

Amended Returns
Your organization can e-file an amended return to either update or add information to a previously accepted form for the same tax year. IRS Form 990/990-EZ are the only returns applicable to amendments, and the updated returns must contain all the information requested by the form and instructions – not just the corrections.

If you need a copy of your organization’s previously filed return, you can submit IRS Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return – you can also visit the IRS website for information about getting blank tax forms. Your amended return is required to be available for public inspection three years after the amended filing date or the original filing deadline – whichever is longer.

E-filing Amended Returns with ExpressTaxExempt
To e-file an amended return with, you first must have e-filed your original tax return with our services. Also, the IRS needs to have accepted your original form – if you received a rejection, you can quickly make corrections and re-transmit your rejected form.

Before starting an amendment, you’re required to explain your reasons for changing your original return – this information can also include which parts and schedules of the original form that need changes along with descriptions of your changes.

You won’t need to start entirely over with an empty return. Our cloud-based technology carries over everything from your original form to your amended return – all you need is to go through your completed sections and make the necessary changes. Any new text provided or corrections made are automatically tracked and entered on Schedule O of your amendment.

Once you’ve completed your updates, you can transmit your form to the IRS. You can assure that your new return is an amendment as the “Amended Return” box is check marked in Item B of the Heading on Page 1 of your return.

If you have any questions or need assistance with the e-filing process, feel free to contact our U.S. – based customer support at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. We also offer email support with [email protected].


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *