ExpressTaxExempt Blog

What You Need To Know About Filing For Exempt Status With The IRS

As a non-profit organization, it is imperative that you file and maintain your tax-exempt status with the IRS. Since filing for your tax-exemption status is a detailed process we are sure you have a few questions. To avoid spending hours searching for accurate information, we have researched for you, so here is everything you need to know about filing for your tax-exemption status.

What You Need To Know About Filing For Exempt Status With The IRS

Here are the top seven questions most nonprofit leaders have when it comes to filing for exemption status. All information shared has been provided directly from the Internal Revenue Service at www.irs.gov:

1) Nonprofit and Tax-Exempt Status...Is There a Difference?

Nonprofit status is a state law concept. Nonprofit status may make an organization eligible for specific benefits, such as state sales, property and income tax exemptions. Although most federal tax-exempt organizations are nonprofit organizations, organizing as a nonprofit organization at the state level does not automatically grant the organization exemption from federal income tax.

To qualify as exempt from federal income tax, an organization must meet requirements outlined by the Internal Revenue Code.

2) How Can My Organization Be Recognized as Tax-Exempt?

To be recognized as exempt from federal income taxation, most organizations are required to apply for recognition of exemption. For section 501(c)(3) organizations, the law provides only limited exceptions to this requirement.

Applying for recognition of exemption results in formal IRS recognition of an organization’s status, and may be preferable for that reason.

3) What Form(s) Should I File For Exemption Status?

Most organizations must file one of the following specific Forms to receive tax-exemption status:
  • Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (for charitable organizations; see instructions)
  • Form 1024-A, Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code (instructions)
  • Form 1024, Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(a) (instructions).
Click here to find out which application your organization is required to submit.

4) Where Should Exemption Applications Be Sent?

Send your completed exemption application to the address stated in the instructions to the application form:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 12192
Covington, KY  41012-0192

Express mail or a delivery service address:

Internal Revenue Service
201 West Rivercenter Blvd.
Attn: Extracting Stop 312
Covington, KY 41011

5) Can My Application Be Expedited?

Generally, applications are processed in the order received by the IRS. Sometimes, however, the IRS will expedite the application process for valid, compelling, and legitimate reasons.

A request for expedited processing must be made in writing and must fully explain the reason. Reference Expedited Application Processing for more information.

6) Is it Required That My Organization Has a Tax-Exempt Number?

No, unlike some states that issue numbers to organizations to indicate that these organizations are exempt from state sales taxes, the IRS does not issue numbers specifically for exempt organizations. While the IRS does issue Employer Identification Numbers (EINs), these are merely a unique identifier, similar to a Social Security number.

Applying for and receiving an EIN does not indicate an organization's tax status; however, your organization needs an EIN to apply for tax exemption.

7) Do Government Entities Need To Apply For Exemption?

Most state and local government entities are not required to pay federal income tax. For non-tax reasons, though, government entities are sometimes asked to provide a tax-exempt number or determination letter to prove their status as a tax-exempt organization.

State and local governments are not required to apply for this exempt status, however. As discussed in ‘Affirmation of Your Tax-Exempt Status,’ the IRS will issue a letter describing the tax status of government entities. Most organizations and individuals will accept this letter as the substantiation that they need. No application is required, and no fee is associated with this letter.

Now that you have what you need to know about filing for exemption status be sure to sign up for your free ExpressTaxExempt account to handle all of your Form 990 tax filing needs! Sign up today and maintain tax compliance with ease!

Register Today!

Read More »

How to Keep Your Tax-Exempt Status by Filing IRS Form 990

How to Keep Your Tax-Exempt Status by Filing IRS Form 990

Today is another IRS Form 990 deadline day! If your organization operates on a fiscal tax year that begins on February 1 and ends on January 31, you are required to file IRS Form 990 by today, June 15. You have until midnight to submit this form or extension Form 8868 to receive additional time to file.

Well the clock is ticking and time is running out, so let’s discuss how to file at the last minute and meet the June 15 deadline.

How to Keep Your Tax-Exempt Status by Filing IRS Form 990

The first step in meeting the June 15 deadline is to know which 990 Form your organization is required to file. There are four Forms that make up the Form 990 Series and we would hate for you to waste your time and file the wrong one. Here is a brief summary of each nonprofit IRS Form, simply select the one that best fits your organization: 

Nonprofit Form 990 Series

How to Keep Your Tax-Exempt Status by Filing IRS Form 990

Click here to find out what information your nonprofit organization needs to have to file these forms.

How To File IRS Form 990

Need More Time To File? We’ve Got You Covered!

If you need more time to file Form 990 or want to take your time completing the Form, that’s okay! You can quickly file Form 8868 for an automatic 6-month extension!

Form 8868 is used by nonprofit groups, charities, and other tax-exempt organizations to get an extension of time to file their federal tax return.

Filing this form with us by your Form 990 deadline will result in a 6-month extension of time to file your Form 990 and avoid IRS penalties. But don’t delay, you must file your IRS Form 8868 tax extension today in order to get the automatic 6-month extension.

The Easiest Way to File

ExpressTaxExempt eliminates the worry about missing your Form 990 filing deadline! With our simple, interview style e-filing process, you can complete your form and instantly transmit it directly to the IRS.

We offer easy e-filing for Form 990 Series returns (Form 990, Form 990-N (e-Postcard), Form 990-EZ, and Form 990-PF) so you can quickly file the correct 990 Form for your organization. For more information on e-filing pricing, click here.

Follow the simple step-by-step guide to create your free account, enter basic information about your organization, complete the form interview, review your information and audit report, pay for your form, and transmit it directly to the IRS. The entire process is completed in 5 simple steps!

E-File Form 990 Today!

Read More »

Everything You Need To Meet the June 15th Deadline 🙌🏾

This is a guest post from TaxBandits, an Authorized IRS e-file solution designed to handle the needs of tax-exempt organizations and small businesses.

Can you believe it has almost been a month since the big nonprofit tax return Form 990 deadline on May 15! This was the nonprofit tax return deadline for those nonprofits who operate on a typical calendar tax year.  However, if your organization operates on a fiscal tax year starting in February your IRS Form 990 is due June 15th! Hint hint; nudge nudge; that is THIS Friday. 😧  

So to help those of you still needing to file, we wanted to share everything you need to meet the June 15th deadline. 

Everything You Need To Meet The June 15th Deadline 

What is Form 990?

IRS Form 990 is the annual financial and informational return filed by all tax-exempt nonprofit and charitable organizations. Your organization's type and financial situation will decide which nonprofit tax return Form 990 you will file.

There are four types of 990 Forms in the Form 990 Series. Select and e-file the appropriate nonprofit tax return Form 990 based on the following requirements:

Form 990-N (e-Postcard) - For organizations reporting gross receipts less than $50,000

Form 990-EZ (Short Form) - For organizations reporting gross receipts less than $200,000 and total assets less than $500,000

Form 990 (Long Form) - For organizations reporting gross receipts equal to or greater than $200,000 and total assets equal to or greater than $500,000

Form 990-PF - For organizations identifying as an exempt private foundation, taxable private foundation, or a nonexempt charitable trust treated as a private foundation.

Preparing For The June 15 Deadline

Have Necessary Documents on Hand

Before filing your organization’s 990 Form, make sure you have located and organized all your required information. Trust me, being organized will make this process so much easier and less time-consuming.

Depending on which Form 990 you are required to file, you may have to report various details such as revenue and expense amounts, program services, a list of employees, financial statements, governance and more.

Know What Information You Need

Well since we’re on the topic of required information let’s go ahead to get to it. Here’s what you will need when you file your 990 Form with TaxBandits:

Information Needed To File Form 990-N
  • Employer Identification Number
  • Legal Name
  • Fiscal year period
  • Principal Officer
  • Current Address
  • Gross Receipts under $50,000
Information Needed To File Form 990/990-EZ/990-PF
  • EIN
  • Legal Name
  • Fiscal year period
  • Current Address
  • Contact number
  • Exemption type
  • List of Officers and Key Employees
  • Prior year return
  • Contributions for the past 5 years
  • Other Revenue details
  • Expenses
  • Investment Income details
  • Numbers of Employees, Contractors & Volunteers
  • Organization’s Mission
  • Accomplishments for the year (Grants Paid, Projects finished, etc.)
  • Donor Advised Fund Information
  • Endowment Funds Information
  • Assets (Art, Historical treasures, etc.)
  • Policies
  • Details of Activities
    (Political, lobbying, foreign transactions, etc.)
  • Related organizations

The Comprehensive Guide To Filing Form 990

Now that you know how to prepare your IRS Form 990 you can easily file with the help of TaxBandits. We support your organization by providing a simplified, interview style filing process, automatic schedules and worksheets, retransmit rejected returns for free, support prior year filing and more!

Be sure to check out The Comprehensive Guide To Filing A 990 Tax Form For Your Nonprofit; a great resource which gives you everything you need to know about IRS Form 990 and how to file it!

File IRS Form 990 Online

Read More »

How To Make Your Non-Profit Board Meeting Engaging

Nonproft group meeting
Building your non-profit organization takes time, dedication, commitment, and a great team to support it.

Once you’ve built your team of volunteers and supporters, it is important to meet to discuss the various aspects of your organization. However, while meetings are beneficial to an organization’s growth, they can become ineffective if not run correctly.

Today, we will learn how to make your non-profit board meeting engaging.

How To Make Your Non-Profit Board Meeting Engaging

1. Have a Purpose To Meet

There’s nothing worse than gathering your team for a meeting that has no real purpose. Meet only when necessary. If you don’t, your team will become uninterested and disengaged because they feel their time is being wasted. If what you want to discuss can be accomplished in a simple email do so your team will thank you for it.

2. Know Who To Invite

Unless you’re having a “Come to Jesus Meeting” that requires your whole team meetings should involve only those who are directly related to the topic. Determine what needs to be discussed and invite the necessary members of your team to keep the meeting brief and productive.

Note: Authority figures within your nonprofit organization must be present when major decisions are made. 

3. Create an Agenda & Send in Advance

I can’t emphasize enough how beneficial a preplanned agenda can be for keeping your meetings quick and concise. Every meeting should have an agenda with clear objectives and a time frame for discussion. You should include an explanation of how each topic up for discussion and how you will be taking suggestions. This will help your team fully understand the conversation and improve the productivity of your meeting. 

4. Keep Attendees Engaged

Make your meetings meaningful and engaging by keeping things going at a brisk pace, but allow enough time for a thorough discussion. Call on your members by name when their participation is needed. Vague discussions lead to vague responses. Have everyone look at the same document throughout the meeting to keep them involved and ask for feedback.

5. Provide a Closing Summary at the End of Each Meeting

Keep your team on the same page before you leave each meeting by doing a quick summary of the discussion and decisions made. Allocating 5 minutes at the end of your meeting for this summary will ensure shared understanding and clear commitments.

Bonus Tip: End the Meeting Early If You’re All Done! Never waste people’s time. If you waste theirs they will waste yours.
Now that you know how to make your meetings super-efficient, don’t forget to file your annual 990 Forms with ExpressTaxExempt. If your organization operates on a fiscal tax year starting in February your IRS Form 990 is due this Friday, June 15th.
Successful Nonprofit meeting which was engaging for board members

ExpressTaxExempt helps you remain tax exempt and free from IRS penalties. Create an account or sign in today to handle your nonprofit organization’s tax filing needs.

Sign-Up Today!

Read More »

How To Determine When To Engage With Non-Profit Donors

Non-profit leader learning how to determine when engage with non-profit donors
We all know that donations from generous individuals help sustain the mission of non-profit organizations. Throughout the year you find yourself promoting your non-profit through numerous emails, phone calls, social media posts, and more to receive donations. Once you’ve attracted a donor and received donations, when is the perfect time to follow up with them?

Today, we will answer the questions you’ve always had and will learn more about how to determine when to engage with donors.

How To Determine When To Engage With Non-Profit Donors

First-time and recurring donors want to know that you appreciate their contribution to your non-profit. While “thank you” goes a long way, there is a strategy that should go behind when to say it. Here is some insight on the best time to engage with your donors.

Prepare to Engage

As always, preparation is key to anything. Before you engage with a donor, it is essential to have a way to receive, track, and manage their information so you can maintain a positive donor relationship to foster continuous support.

Create a Donor Management System. This is a database where you will store all donor and gift information such as the date and time of the donation, the donor’s name, address and zip code. You can refer back to this information as needed to help customize donor communications in the future which will lead to recurring contributions.

Tip: Save this documentation and upload to a secure drive online. Once you create this database you will not want to lose it...trust me!

Same Day [Online Donation]

Express your gratitude immediately. 

When receiving an online donation, it is best to share your appreciation with a follow-up page as soon as the donor has finished the transaction.

The Following Day

Be sure to thank your donors for their contributions in a brief, yet compelling, email by the following day.

A great way to utilize your donor management system is to initiate this email after the donor's first gift automatically. Feel free to mention the campaign or project that their contribution will be supporting and attach a receipt for their records.

Note: This email should be sent from the director of the organization or a very well-known staff member that does well with maintaining donor relationships.

Within Four to Seven Business Days

An extra “thank you” never hurt, right? After a few days have passed, reinforce your gratitude with a heartfelt follow-up. This can be done via email or by letter. Take time to reiterate your appreciation and welcome them to your support team. Sharing an impactful story is always a plus!

Engaging with your donors is simple, easy, and rewarding! With so many ways to encourage giving, ExpressTaxExempt and our sister product TaxBandits are here to empower your nonprofit and be a helping hand with your nonprofit tax filing needs. You are in the business of helping others, now let us help you! Create a free account today and get back to making a difference in your community.

Let Us Help You!

Read More »

5 Nonprofit Myths You Need To Leave in 2018

Do you remember getting in trouble for telling a “little white lie” while growing up? Well, a few white lies and myths are floating around regarding nonprofit organizations that we want to do away with, starting today. Here are five nonprofit myths you need to leave in 2018. 

Nonprofit leader learning about nonprofit myths

5 Nonprofit Myths You Need To Leave in 2018

1) Form 990 only has to be filed every 3 years

Tax-exempt organizations are required to file Form 990 tax returns annually. If an organization fails to file IRS Form 990 for three consecutive years, their tax-exempt status will be revoked. 

2) My organization used all our donations for the year and has no money left. There is no way we can be penalized for failing to file

Myth! IRS penalties are calculated based on the gross receipts of an organization, not its income. For this reason, organizations must file a Form 990 [annually] regardless of the amount of money that remains after the organization’s tax year has ended. 

3) Nonprofits only report substantial contributions on IRS Form 990

Too easy, right? A tax-exempt organization filing IRS Form 990 must report all donations. You will also need to include contribution details for donations $5,000 or more.

4) All small nonprofits can file Form 990-N

Private foundations must file a Form 990-PF regardless of their size or gross receipts. To learn more about IRS Form 990-PF, click here.

5) Nonprofits focus on big donors, not small ones

Lies, lies, and more lies. Nonprofit organizations are thankful for any donation they receive! As a nonprofit leader, you know how hard it is to muster up funds to adequately impact your community.

Although large donors are great and help sustain the work of your organization, be sure to also focus on those that make smaller donations to keep a good “cushion” of donors.

The Truth Sets You Free

As you lead your organization into the second half of 2018 leave these nonprofit myths behind and walk in truth. Don’t forget to keep detailed financial records and documents so you can be prepared to file your organization’s Form 990 at the end of your tax year.

ExpressTaxExempt offers a simplified e-filing process to handle your annual 990 tax filings and takes pride in keeping nonprofits compliant with the IRS. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the experienced team of experts located in historic Rock Hill, SC. We are available by phone, live chat, and email in both English and Spanish for your convenience. Click here to contact us today! 
Read More »

What To Do When You Miss The IRS Form 990 Deadline

Stressed nonprofit leader who missed the IRS Form 990 DeadlineWe’ve talked about everything 990 related for the last week or so and just like that, the May 15th deadline has come and gone. If you filed your organization’s IRS Form 990 by the Form 990 due date 2017, I am sure you have gladly removed anything 990 related from your ever-growing to-do list. Unfortunately, this isn’t the reality for every organization.

We have received several concerned calls from organizations that failed to file their 990 tax form by the IRS Form 990 deadline. They are all asking what they should do since they missed the Form 990 due date 2017 for tax returns.

We will be honest with you, there aren’t many options for you at this point, but we do have some advice on what to do when you miss the IRS Form 990 deadline.

*Take immediate action before your tax-exempt status is revoked*

What To Do When You Miss The IRS Form 990 Deadline

Long story short, the longer you wait to file the worse off your organization will be. The best advice that we can give you is to file IRS Form 990 ASAP!  Your penalties will only grow the longer you wait to file your 990 tax form...seriously. 

Even though you have [technically] missed the deadline, you can avoid the following IRS penalties if you take action soon. 

Late Filing Penalties

Organizations with gross receipts less than $1,020,000 for its tax year will have a penalty of $20/day for each day that the return is late. The maximum penalty for these organizations is $10,000 or 5 percent of the organization's gross receipts, whichever is less.

Organizations with gross receipts more than $1,020,000 for its tax year will have a penalty of $100/day for up to a maximum of $51,000.

Penalties Against Responsible Person(s):

Were you aware that individuals can be fined on behalf of an organization if the organization does not file during the fixed amount of time it has been given to fulfill its filing requirements? 

Yep! 😳 Organizations that fail to file a completed return or provide proper information will be given a short grace period before penalties apply. Your organization will receive a letter from the IRS stating how long this period will be.

If no action is taken after this time expires, the person responsible for complying will be charged a penalty of $10/day, with a per capita of $5,000 for anyone return.

Filing Form 990 After the Deadline

Filing Form 990 is essential for your organization and should be completed in detail. TaxBandits offers a simplified process and provides all of our clients with informative resources to help you file your 990 nonprofit tax return correctly by following Form 990 instructions. 

Information You Must Have To File

General information needed to e-file IRS Form 990 include:
  • EIN (Employer Identification Number)
  • Tax Period
  • GEN (Group Exemption Number)
  • You will also need information to fill out any required schedules for your organization

File The Correct 990

If you spend precious time filing the wrong Form 990 for your organization, I will cry for you.

These are the 990 tax forms included in the Form 990 Series; select the Form 990 that meets the financial status of your organization:

Form 990-N
Organizations with gross receipts that are less than or equal to $50,000 file this form electronically.

Form 990
Filed by organizations with gross receipts more than or equal to $200,000 or total assets equal to or greater than $500,000.

Form 990-EZ
The Short Form Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax filed by organizations with gross receipts less than $200,000 and $500,000 in total assets.

Form 990-PF
Filed by Exempt & Taxable Private Foundations as well as Non-Exempt Charitable Trusts which the IRS treat as private foundations. 

Automatic Revocation of Tax-Exempt Status

If your organization does not file a Form 990 for three consecutive years, it will be automatically revoked of its tax-exempt status. If the organization does not get reinstated as per the required procedure, it will be required to file with the IRS as a taxable organization.

Taking next steps after learning what to do when you miss the IRS Form 990 deadlineAvoid Expensive Late Filing Penalties

IRS penalties are quickly accumulating and the longer you wait, the more expensive they will be. So if I were you, I would create a free account with our sister product, TaxBandits, and start filing today. Their filing process consists of a simplified, step-by-step interview-style process without the complex IRS terminology. At TaxBandits we take pride in providing tax-exempt organizations a safe, secure, and efficient e-filing process that will save you time and money.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact the experienced team of experts located in historic Rock Hill, SC. We are available by phone, live chat, and email in both English and Spanish for your convenience.
Read More »

Time Is Running Out: File A Tax Extension Form 8868 Today

The due date for Form 990 is here! Nonprofit or charitable organizations worldwide have completed or are in the process of completing an IRS Form 990 to maintain tax-exempt status for their organization.

With only hours left to e-file Form 990 before the midnight deadline, here is how to beat the 990 extension due date 2017 by quickly filing tax extension Form 8868. Let’s be honest; you can rush through filing your 990 tax form today and possibly make major mistakes, or you can apply for a Form 990 extension. Time is running out: file a tax extension Form 8868 today!

Time Is Running Out: File A Tax Extension Form 8868 Today

If you need more time to e-file Form 990 you can file an extension for Form 990 and receive six additional months to file.

Not that we’re saying filling out a tax-exempt return is a brisk, afternoon activity (trust us, we know). But six months is a fairly long time… Until the time is up.

Unfortunately, today is the 990 extension due date for 2017 tax returns for nonprofit organizations operating on a calendar year.

Tax-exempt returns that are due today must be transmitted by midnight (local time), so head on over to our homepage where all your exempt organization e-filing needs can be easily met.

Even consider using our sister product TaxBandits, the new #1 home for everything tax exempt,
where you can transmit your Form 990 or apply for IRS Form 8868 using one account, and still enjoy the same e-filing features you’ve come to trust with ExpressTaxExempt.

Our live support team in Rock Hill, South Carolina is at the edge of their seats waiting to speak with you about any questions or concerns you may have about e-filing IRS Form 990 or an IRS Form 990 extension.

Give us a call at (704) 684-4751, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., EST. Since it’s “deadline day” we are even going to stick around a few extra hours to be of assistance.

We can also be reached 24/7 through support@taxbandits.com, or chat with us live.

File Your IRS Form 990 Extension Now!

Read More »

How To Never Mistake IRS Form 990 and Form 990-N Again

Tomorrow is your Form 990 due date! But before you file it is important to know which 990 tax form is required by the IRS. File Form 990 based on the financial status of your organization before tomorrow’s deadline!

IRS Form 990 and IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) are the most confused forms. If you are responsible for filing your nonprofit’s tax return, you need to know that which form is required by your tax-exempt organization.  Today we will dig deeper into how never to mistake IRS Form 990 and Form 990-N again.

How To Never Mistake IRS Form 990 and Form 990-N Again

To make a long story short, IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) is for nonprofit organizations with gross receipts that do NOT exceed $50,000. This form is typically filed by smaller nonprofit organizations and is the quickest 990 tax form to complete. 

The following type of nonprofit organizations are not permitted to file an IRS Form 990-N:
  • Political organizations required to file an exempt organization return annually 
  • Private foundations (File Form 990-PF)
  • Supporting organizations such as:
  • Organizations with gross receipts $5,000 or less and classified as a section 501(c)(3) religious organization. 
  • Auxiliaries of Churches
  • Exclusive religious activities (by religious orders) 

Although these types of organizations are not permitted to file Form 990-N (e-Postcard), they must still file a Form 990 tax form to remain tax-exempt and avoid hefty IRS penalties. The appropriate form for your organization is based on your gross receipts and assets. One of the following forms must be filed by May 15th.

Form 990 Series 

Form 990-N (e-Postcard) - For organizations reporting gross receipts less than $50,000

Form 990-EZ (Short Form) - For organizations reporting gross receipts less than $200,000 and total assets less than $500,000

Form 990 (Long Form) - For organizations reporting gross receipts equal to or greater than $200,000 and total assets equal to or greater than $500,000

Form 990-PF - For organizations identifying as an exempt private foundation, taxable private foundation, or a nonexempt charitable trust treated as a private foundation.

For more information about which 990 tax form your organization should file and where to file Form 990, click here. If you are ready to file, ExpressTaxExempt has everything you need to remain compliant with the IRS by e-filing Form 990.

If you need more time apply for an extension for Form 990 using tax extension Form 8868.

File 990-EZ Online                                       File 990 Online

Read More »

E-File Form 8868 If You Need A Little More Time

You’ve probably picked up on the fact that we have been heavily focused on the upcoming Form 990 due date on May 15 for nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations. In the last few days, we have gone over [almost] everything 990 related, but what if you are not quite ready to file your beloved organization's IRS Form 990?

ExpressTaxExempt understands how busy and difficult it can be running a nonprofit organization. Adding tax filing deadlines to your to-do list isn’t always easy or manageable.

Your organization helps those in need, now let us help you e-file Form 8868 if you need a little more time.

Easy Way To Receive Extra Time To File IRS Form 990

The most recognized and discussed deadline day for nonprofits is May 15th. Each year on this date, exempt organizations operating on an annual tax year from January - December must file their Form by this date. If not, hefty late or failure-to-file penalties are “waiting for you at the door.”

That’s where tax extension Form 8868 comes in! If you file IRS Form 8868 by the original 990 due date on May 15th, your organization will automatically receive an additional 6 months time to file.

To avoid penalties, you must file the tax extension Form 8868 by midnight on the 990 due date [May 15, 2018]. Filing IRS Form 8868 is quick and easy. Here’s how you can file:

How To File IRS Extension IRS Form 8868

  1. Register or sign in with ExpressTaxExempt
  2. Add organization's basic information such as name, EIN, address, and contact number
  3. Select the IRS form which you are applying for the tax extension
  4. Enter your organization's tax year period
  5. Choose your tax extension type and provide information for signing authority
  6. Review your return and fix any errors
  7. Pay and transmit to the IRS
Easy, right?! The great thing about tax extension Form 8868 is that you can file it in advance and be completely stress-free on the 990 due date, May 15, 2018. Your extended 990 due date will be November 15, 2018...you can’t beat a deal like that!

It only takes a few minutes to apply for an extension using ExpresssTaxExempt. Take the first step to getting more time to file by signing up for a free account. 

Read More »

Need Further Help? Contact Us

Our live support specialists in Rock Hill, SC are always ready to offer professional service and assistance.


Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers related to e-filing IRS Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, 990-N (e-Postcard), Form 1120-POL and Extension Form 8868 with our Frequently Asked Questions.

Learn More

Start Now

Start now to e-file an exempt organization returns or file for a extension with ExpressTaxExempt.

Start Now