ExpressTaxExempt Blog

Tips for Reporting Supplemental Financial Statements

Each time your organization answers “Yes” to a question on Form 990, Part IV, you’re required to complete the applicable schedule and provide explanations that are relevant to the question.

If your organization doesn’t have any further information to provide with a schedule, then you should answer “No” to the corresponding question on Form 990, Part IV.

Submitting a complete and accurate 990 form is critical to remain compliant with the IRS and to avoid any penalties or audits. Here are some key rules from the IRS about reporting important supplemental financial statements.

Donor Advised Funds
Tax-exempt groups that managed donor advised funds at any time during the tax year need to answer “Yes” to Line 6, Part IV. A donor advised fund or similar funds are accounts in which the donor, or someone appointed by the donor, has advisory privileges over the use of any portion of the account.

If information about donor-advised funds applies to your organization, you must provide the total number of managed accounts for the year, the aggregate value of contributions made during the year, the aggregate value of grants given during the year, and total aggregate value of funds at the end of the year.

Conservation Easements
A conservation easement is an agreement established for the purpose of conservation and preservation of property held by the organization. If you answer “Yes” to Line 7, Part IV, you need to explain to the purpose of the conservation easement held by your organization.

If you indicate that your organization held a qualified conservation contribution in the form of a conservation easement on the last day of the tax year, you’re responsible for providing follow-up information such as the total number of easements and total acreage restricted.

Art and Museum Collections
Answer “Yes” to Line 8, Part IV, if your tax-exempt group maintained collections of works of art, historical treasures, and other similar assets at any time during the tax year. Be prepared to indicate revenue related to collections and assets related to collections reported under SFAS 116 (ASC 958).

You’re also required to state the significant use of the collection items, a description of the organization’s collections, and an explanation how they further the organization’s exempt purpose. And finally, report if items from the collection were sold to raise funds rather than maintained.

Escrow or Custodial Accounts
Organizations that have funds in an escrow or custodial account for other individuals or organizations, provides credit counseling services or debt management plan services, or acts as an agent, trustee, custodian, or another intermediary for contributions or other assets should answer “Yes” to Line 9, Part IV.

If your organization acts as an agent, you’ll need to enter the escrow or custodian fund details including beginning balance, addition amounts, distribution amounts, and ending balance for the year and also provide an explanation of the arrangement.

Endowment Funds
If your organization held assets in temporarily restricted endowments, permanent endowments, or quasi-endowments, you should answer “Yes” to Line 10, Part IV. You’re required to enter the amounts of the current year and prior year contributions, grants, administrative expenses, and asset transfers to the organization's endowment funds.

Report the estimated percentage of your organization’s total endowment funds and also provide information on other endowment funds that are not in your possession. Near the end, you need to describe the intended uses of the organization’s endowment funds.

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, you are guided effortlessly through each of these sections. If you answer “Yes” to any of the initial questions, our application presents the required follow-up questions, and your answers are entered in the generated schedules automatically.

Contact our U.S. - based customer support team for any questions or further assistance with e-filing your 990 form through our cloud-based service. We’re available at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. Or reach us via email with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Requirements for a Properly Completed IRS 990 Form

Every tax-exempt organization required to file IRS Form 990 or Form 990-EZ must complete Parts I through XII along with a Schedule O and any other schedules applicable to your organization. The same rules apply to tax-exempt groups who aren’t required to file a tax return but choose to do so.

Submitting an incomplete 990 form is similar to filing late - it can cost you thousands of dollars in penalties and late fees or even a loss of exemption status. Here are a few guidelines from the IRS about completing a 990 return correctly.

Signature and Recordkeeping
A 990 form is never complete with a signature - a primary officer that’s filing the form usually signs the return. If you are filing on behalf of an organization, your signature is required along with the primary officer.

Your organization’s records need to be archived and accessible for the provisional administration of the Internal Revenue Code for a minimum of three years - this includes documents supporting an item of income, deduction, credit, or basis of property. It’s also helpful to keep copies of prior year tax returns for future reference or amended filings.

Rounding Off to Whole Dollars
When filing returns and schedules, exempt organizations must round off cents to whole dollars. Increase amounts with 50 cents or higher to the nearest dollar - you can also decrease to the nearest dollar for amounts with less than 50 cents. If you are adding numbers together, you should only round the total sum.

Complete All Lines
You must make an entry for each line that requires an amount or any other information, even if the value is zero. Applicable lines should not be blank unless the instructions expressly say to skip. All Form 990/990-EZ must include a Schedule O which is used to provide explanations or additional information.

Reporting Proper Amounts
Some sections require information you've reported on other IRS forms. If you realize that numbers reported are incorrect, you should enter the correct values on the 990 return and also submit an amended form with the proper information.

The IRS also asks that you not report negative numbers - you should use zero as the value unless the instructions explain otherwise. Report expenses and revenue separately and do not combine related items.

Inclusion of Activities and Items of Disregarded Entities and Joint Ventures
Organizations must report all revenues, expenses, assets, liabilities, and net assets or funds of a disregarded entity or shares of the same items from a joint venture, other investment, or arrangement treated as a partnership. You are also responsible for reporting activities of your disregarded entity or a joint venture on the appropriate parts or schedules of the 990 form.

Reporting Information from Third Parties
There are a few sections that request information you may need to obtain from a third party - this can include various things like compensation paid by related organizations; family and business relationships between officers, directors, trustees, key employees, and individual businesses they own or control, etc.

You are responsible for getting and reporting this information. If you cannot retrieve through reasonable efforts or tax extension, you can explain or give an estimate with your Schedule O.

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, our interview-style process seamlessly guides you through each section of the 990 form and automatically generates appropriate schedules based on your answers. You won’t have to worry about questions that don’t pertain to your organization, and at the end, we present your entire tax return with its proper requirements for you to transmit.

Our U.S. - based support team of e-file professionals is available for questions or assistance with accurately sending your 990 tax return to the IRS. Call us at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. And we’re also available via email with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Reporting Unrelated Business Income

For some exempt organizations, generating sufficient funds sometimes requires going beyond traditional fundraisers and generous contributions.

Tax-exempt groups are eligible to participate in trades and businesses with no correlation with their exemption purpose or function to bring income.

Revenue from unrelated businesses such as operating a museum or selling products is subject to corporate income tax rates. You must report the earned income on your annual tax return and pay the tax amount on time as mandated by the federal government.

Here is some valuable information about properly reporting unrelated business income to the IRS.

IRS Form 990/990-EZ and Form 990-T
If your organization’s total gross revenue from all its unrelated trades or businesses is more than $1,000 for the tax year, you must indicate it on your 990 or 990-EZ tax return. You are also responsible for filing a separate 990-T form.

IRS Form 990-T is a tax return specifically for business income from exempt organizations. The amounts of unrelated revenue and expense you report on your 990 form are the same that you report on the 990-T. Neither form substitutes the other - the IRS requires both returns to be filed if applicable.

Important: It’s mandatory for all tax-exempt groups with unrelated business income to pay estimated taxes with their return if their tax liability is expected to be more than $500. The IRS has its Form 990-W available for organizations to figure out their estimates.

Report Unrelated Income with ExpressTaxExempt
Filing unrelated business income along with the rest of your 990/990-EZ form is quick and easy at ExpressTaxExempt.com. Once you reach the proper section, indicate that your organization filed a Form 990-T for the tax year and then enter your net unrelated business taxable income from Line 34 of your 990-T - that is it!

Keep in mind that you are responsible for separately sending a Form 990-T to the IRS, and you should complete it before entering any unrelated income amounts on your 990 form or 990-EZ. You can consult with a local tax professional about filing the 990-T return.

If you have any questions or need assistance with reporting unrelated business income on your 990 tax e-file, contact our U.S. - based customer support team at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or send a request to support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Group Returns for Exempt Organizations

Exempt organizations that are considered a central or parent company can file a group return with IRS Form 990 for two or more secondary or local tax-exempt organizations.

In some cases, the IRS may require the central organization to file a 990 form for itself by submitting a separate return outside of the group filing.

Subordinate Organizations
A subordinate organization can be included in a group return only if it is

  • Affiliated with the parent organization during the time its tax period ends
  • Subject to the parent organization's general supervision or control
  • Exempt from tax under a group exemption letter that's currently in effect
  • Utilizes the same tax year period as the parent organization

Each subordinate organization must annually authorize the central organization in writing to include it within the group return. It is also responsible for declaring that the information submitted to the group is accurate and complete.

Group Exemption Number
Subordinate organizations have the option to file a separate IRS 990 return on its own; however, it must still indicate that it’s involved in a group exemption. The IRS requires a 4-digit group exemption number (GEN), and group exemption name from each organization included in a group exemption.

If there are any changes to a group exemption ruling, the parent or central organization should submit an annual information update that’s required to maintain its group exemption ruling - this is a separate form not included with your 990 filing.

Group Returns with ExpressTaxExempt
Our easy-to-use service asks for your group exemption information near the beginning of the e-filing process. If you’re the central or parent organization, you can quickly and easily list all of your subordinate organizations which we'll correctly generate on your 990 form.

For any questions or assistance with e-filing a group return, or an IRS 990 series form in general, contact our U.S -based customer support team located in Rock Hill, South Carolina. We’re available at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or reach us through email with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Tips on Reporting Other IRS Filings and Tax Compliance

Within IRS 990 and 990-EZ forms, there is a section where tax-exempt organizations can report specific types of other IRS filings and tax compliance information.

Not every question from this section may apply to your exempt group, but if it is applicable, make sure your answers are as accurate as possible.

Here are a few tips on properly reporting information for a few sections regarding any other IRS filings or tax compliance applicable to your organization.

Form 1099 or Form W-2G Tax Returns
Indicate whether your organization filed any 1099 or W-2G forms for the current tax year and the total number of returns reported if applicable. If your organization listed any gambling winnings, enter the number of IRS Form W-2Gs that you filed.

Mark if your tax-exempt group was compliant with any backup withholding rules for reportable payments to vendors and reportable gaming or gambling winnings to prize winners - these payments can include nonemployee compensation, interest, dividends, rents, royalties, commissions, broker proceeds and barter exchange transactions, or reportable gross proceeds paid to attorneys.

Unrelated Business Income
Confirm if your organization filed any income and expense details from an unrelated business with an IRS Form 990-T. Revenue from an unrelated trade or business typically gets earned from an activity that normally has nothing to do with your organization’s exempt purpose, function, or mission. If applicable, enter the same amounts that you reported on the 990-T form.

Prohibited Tax Shelter Transactions, Non-deductible Charitable Contributions, and Deductible Contributions Under Section 170(c)
Report if your organization was a party to a prohibited tax shelter transaction and filed an 8868-T form. If applicable, you’ll need to document any listed confidential transaction within section 6707(c)(2).

For tax-exempt groups with gross receipts greater than $100,000, report any fundraising requests that weren’t eligible to receive any contributions deductible as charitable contributions. Failure to indicate any nondeductible contributions can lead to a $1,000 penalty or a maximum $10,000 fee.

Organizations that received any deductible contributions under section 170(c) need to report that an IRS Form 8282 was filed about the donated property details. You’re also required to enter donor of the goods, value, and services provided, any premiums paid or received funds to pay on any personal benefit contract, and indicate whether you received a charitable gift as a qualified intellectual property that produces net income.

Foreign Financial Accounts
If applicable, report the details of any bank, securities, or other financial accounts that your exempt organization owns in foreign countries. You can report any global financial information with a FinCEN Form 114.

Indoor Tanning Services
Report if your organization received any payments for indoor tanning services during the tax year and provide an explanation if you had filed a Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return, to the IRS. Indoor tanning services include any service using an electronic product that utilizes one or more ultraviolet lamps intended to induce skin tanning.

As mentioned earlier, not every tax-exempt organization will need to provide this type of information - consult with a tax professional if you’re not sure which sections apply to you. With ExpressTaxExempt.com, each area is presented in simple, interview-style questions so you can input answers quickly and easily, or pass through categories that don’t apply.

Our U.S. - based customer support is ready to help with technical issues e-filing your 990 tax return to the IRS - call us at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. the 6 p.m. EST or send a request to support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

5 Reasons for an IRS 990 Form Rejection

As easy as it is to submit a 990 form to the IRS electronically, there are instances when your form can get rejected. At that point, it’s up to you to figure out why the IRS rejected your return and how to correct it before incurring any penalties.

The IRS can deny your 990 form for a wide variety of reasons - each tax-exempt organization can have different financial situations. But here are five of the most common reasons your 990 tax return can get rejected.

1. Organization Hasn’t Received Exemption Status
Before filing any 990 form with the IRS, your organization must have exemption status. To apply for tax exemption, you should file either IRS Form 1023 or Form 1024. Exempt organizations usually wait a full year after receiving exemption status before filing a 990 form.

2. Tax Exempt Application is Still Pending
Even if you’ve submitted a 1023 or 1024 form, your exemption status isn’t official until you get a Determination Letter from the IRS - this will confirm your tax-exempt certification along with other pertinent information.

If the IRS requests you to file a 990 form before receiving a Determination Letter, there is an option to select a pending application. Failing to indicate this option when applicable will cause a rejection.

3. Incorrect Tax Year Periods
Your tax year period, or accounting period, must match the IRS database unless the organization terminates within the reporting tax year. Some mistake their group as operating on a calendar tax year when it’s a fiscal tax year - others think they can change their tax period simply by putting the dates they desire on the tax return.

You can find your correct tax year period dates from previous 990 forms, your exemption application form, or you can call the IRS tax-exempt hotline at 877.829.5500. If you wish to change your tax year period, you must follow the procedures mandated by the IRS.

4. Exemption Status is Automatically Revoked
Failing to file for three consecutive years results in an automatic loss of tax-exempt status. Before filing a Form 990, you must reapply for exemption status with Form 1023 or 1024 and get a Determination Letter from the IRS. You can contact the IRS directly to inquire about your status before filing.

5. Duplicate Tax Return
In some cases, the IRS may already have approved a 990 return for the tax year you’re attempting to file. You might have a CPA, tax professional, or parent company that already filed on your behalf - you’ll need to clarify that information within your organization. At the very least, you can reach the IRS and ask for the date they received the filing.

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, we automatically identify the reason for a rejected return and allow you to make corrections so you can re-transmit with no extra charges - you can also re-transmit however many times is necessary.

Our U.S. - based support team in Rock Hill, South Carolina can assist you with a rejected e-file - call us at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m to 6 p.m. EST or send a message with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Tips on Completing Balance Sheets for Exempt Groups

When filing Form 990 or 990-EZ, the IRS requires that all exempt organizations complete the balance sheet included. The balance sheet roughly shows how much money or assets your organization had at the start of the year, liabilities that you may owe, and the amount of money you have at the end of the year.

The IRS won’t accept any other balance sheet except for the one included with the 990 tax return. Here are a few tips about some of the relevant sections you’re required to complete with your balance sheet.

Land, Buildings, Equipment, and Leasehold Improvements
Organizations with any costs spent on land, buildings equipment, etc., must report it - this includes assets held for investments or property used for your organization’s programs or functions. If you indicate an amount, a Schedule D is also required.

You’ll need to enter the total amount of accumulated depreciation for the asset. Enter the cost of the land, building, or equipment as your beginning of year value - subtract the accumulated depreciation from that, and you’ll have your end of year value.

The balance sheet requires accurate information about any debts or financial obligations responsible by your organization. A few of these can include

  • Accounts Payable / Accrued Expenses - the total accounts paid to suppliers or service providers, and expenses such as salaries, payroll taxes, and interests
  • Grants Payable - unpaid portions of grants and awards your organization promised to pay others or individuals
  • Deferred Revenue - revenue your organization has received, but not yet earned due to method of accounting

The IRS has many other liabilities listed which you can view within its Form 990 Instruction Sheet. Not every liability may apply to your organization - consult with a tax professional for further review.

Financial Accounting Standards (SFAS 117)
Organizations that follow SFAS 117 (ASC 958) must classify and report net assets into three groups:

  • Unrestricted - no donor-imposed restrictions
  • Temporarily Restricted - assets may be used after a specific date or for a particular purpose or both
  • Permanently Restricted - assets utilized for a specified purpose, be preserved, and not be sold, or invested in sustaining a permanent source of income

The sum of these three categories is factored with your total liabilities amount to show “Total Liabilities and Net Assets.”

Financial Statement Details
Your financial statement details should show your total revenue and total expense amounts for the year. It should also list your amount of net assets and fund balances from the beginning of the year which should be the same as the end of year value from your previous 990 return.

Report any net unrealized gains or losses, the value of services or use of donated facilities, or net prior period adjustments - these amounts will factor into your net asset and fund balance for the end of the year.

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, our user-friendly interface allows you to enter these amounts quickly and easily - you can even make changes to your balance sheet instantly. Our internal audit check also ensures that you report evenly matched net assets and fund balances.

Contact our helpful U.S. - based support team for any further questions - we’re available at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or email us with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

ExpressTaxExempt Wishes You All A Happy Thanksgiving!

We’re only a couple of days away from Turkey Day and the excitement of the upcoming holidays has us counting down with anticipation. In the spirit of goodwill, we like to say “Thank You” to each of our clients who e-filed using our services this past tax season.

Whether you tried us out for the very first time or have been e-filing with us for years, we are thankful and greatly appreciative of your continued support. Any tax-exempt groups that are looking for a more quick and secure way to file, ExpressTaxExempt is your premier, IRS-authorized e-file provider!

Form 990 Series
We support tax returns for exempt organizations based on your gross receipts:

  • IRS Form 990 - Required for organizations with gross receipts equal to or over $200,000 and total assets equal to or over $500,000.
  • IRS Form 990-EZ - Required for organizations with gross receipts less than $200,000 and total assets less than $50,000.
  • IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) - Required for organizations with gross receipts less than $50,000.

We also support Extension Form 8868 for tax-exempt groups applying for an automatic 3-month extension or an additional, not-automatic 3-month extension. Remember, you must e-file your extension before the original IRS deadline, and tax extensions can only extend your time to file - not to pay any owed taxes.

Why E-file With ExpressTaxExempt?
We work closely with the IRS to provide the most streamlined filing experience available. Our service boasts unique features that you won’t find anywhere else such as automatic email notifications of filing status, bulk upload of contributions, internal error checks, and free transmittal of any rejected forms.

Check out a few of our short, easy read blogs this holiday season for more information about ExpressTaxExempt.com and e-filing 990 forms with the IRS:

As with every year, we recognize major holidays so that our staff can be with family and friends. Our Rock Hill, South Carolina, headquarters will be open on Wednesday, November 23, during our regular hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST; you can reach for any questions or e-filing assistance at 704.839.2321.

We will close our office for both Thanksgiving Day and Friday, November 25, with only limited email support available through support@ExpressTaxExempt.com. We wish all of you a safe and Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for choosing ExpressTaxExempt for your IRS 990 e-filings.

Read More »

Key Employees and Independent Contractors in Tax-Exempt Organizations

When filing IRS Form 990 or Form 990-EZ, tax-exempt groups usually have to report compensation of officers, directors, trustees, key employees, highest compensated employees, and independent contractors in Part VII of the tax return.

This section of the 990 form may come across as a bit tricky because each exempt organization can have different variables regarding members and employees such as no compensation, members with multiple roles, small payment thresholds, or even no significant key employees.

However, the IRS requires some information about the people working within your organization. Here are a few pointers to use:

Highest Paid Officers & Key Employees
Regardless of whether your current officers, directors, or trustees receive compensation or not, you’re going to need to list them. You’re also required to list any current key employees that made at least $150,000 during the year and the current top five highest paid employees making over $100,000.

Important: Your highest compensated employees are those within your organization who do not hold any officer or key employee titles like Treasurer, Secretary, or Director.

In some cases, you may have to list former members if they were active during the filing year, but left before the year was complete. List former officers, key employees, or highly paid employees who made at least $100,000. You can report former directors and trustees that were making over $10,000.

Independent Contractors
If your organization contracted any outside workers, the IRS requires that you report independent contractors that received at least $100,000 in compensation for services. The amounts must be the gross payments which can include expenses and fees - even if you don't separately report the spending costs to your organization.

IRS Information Forms: File W2 Online and 1099 Forms with streamlined features and simplicity from our sister site, ExpressIRSForms.com. You transmit information returns for your employees or contractors directly to the IRS quickly than paper filing. Select our Postal Mailing option to have copies automatically sent to your recipients.

With e-filing 990 forms, you only need to report the total number of volunteers - there’s no need for individual names or details. Under particular circumstances, you don’t have to report any compensation paid to volunteer officers, directors, or trustees - speak with a tax professional for more details.

List your organization’s employees quickly and easily with ExpressTaxExempt.com. If you have any questions about entering key members or contractors, call our U.S. - based support team at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or email us anytime with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Final IRS Deadline for Tax-Exempt Groups is TODAY!!

The day has finally arrived for exempt organizations - the last BIG day to e-file IRS Form 990 and Form 990-EZ.

If your nonprofit or charity runs on a calendar tax year, and you filed Extension Form 8868 Part II this past August, then you have until midnight local time to complete your tax return.

Apply for Extra Time!
There may still be a chance for your tax-exempt group to e-file an IRS Form 8868 extension; however, your organization must follow a fiscal tax year with specific end dates. If your tax period ends on June 30, you’re eligible to e-file Form 8868 Part I and get an automatic 3-month extension.

If your organization’s tax year ends on March 31, and you filed an extension for the August deadline, you can e-file Form 8868 Part II for an additional, not-automatic 3-month extension. You’ll need to include a reasonable explanation why you’re requesting extra time.

Important: You can now e-file a tax extension from anywhere with your favorite iOS or Android device - download our FREE ExpressTaxExempt - Form 8868 mobile app. Tax extensions are not available for IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard).

Benefits of E-filing with ExpressTaxExempt.com
As an IRS-authorized, e-file provider, we work closely with the IRS to provide the most streamlined filing experience. Access your account from anywhere at anytime. Our interview-style questions guide you through the entire process. We automatically generate required schedules for Form 990 and 990-EZ, and our internal audit check ensures your return is error-free. Get a printable copy of your form - even submit amended returns for prior year filings.

IRS Penalties
You must transmit your tax return by 11:59 pm local time to avoid any late penalty fees. If you have no choice but to file late, the IRS charges $20 each day your return is not sent - $100 each day if your organization’s gross receipts are greater than $1 million. Maximum penalties can go up to $50,000 or 5% of total revenues, whichever is the smallest amount.

For any questions or technical assistance with e-filing your 990 form, call our U.S. - based customer support at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or reach us 24/7 with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Simple Ways to Prevent Hefty IRS Penalties

No matter how much we all loathe it, there’s just no way to recover late filing fees and penalties paid to the IRS. In most instances, the IRS evaluates penalties on a case-by-case basis if you can provide valid reasons.

The best way to prevent any late fees with the IRS is to file your exempt organization’s annual tax return on time. But not everything goes that smooth in life, and that’s understandable - so here are a couple of ways you can still avoid late filing penalties.

Automatic & Not-Automatic Extensions
Without a doubt, the most simple method of preventing substantial fees from the IRS is e-filing an Extension Form 8868. You can get up to six months of extra filing time by submitting both parts of the form:

  • Part I - Automatic 3-Month Extension
  • Part II - Additional, Not-Automatic 3-Month Extension

The IRS Form 8868 tax extension only extends your time to file - not the time to pay any owed taxes. You must remember to file your tax return by the extended due date, and you are still responsible for paying any estimated taxes by the original deadline.

Important: Form 8868 cannot extend the deadline for small tax-exempt groups filing IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard).

Facts & Circumstances
If you missed the chance to e-file a tax extension, your only option is to submit IRS Form 990 or Form 990-EZ as soon as you possibly can. You’ll still get penalized each day your return is late; however, you can use a Schedule O to try to reduce or eliminate fees.

The IRS looks for what they call “facts and circumstances,” which are reasonable explanations about why your organization filed late. They specifically want valid answers to the following:

  • What caused the organization from requesting an extension of time
  • How the organization utilize conventional business care and prudence, and is not neglectful or careless
  • What steps the organization is taking to avert the same situation from happening again

Even though the process may take some time, providing these explanations could put you in a better position of leverage. In some cases, the IRS can completely waive penalties if delinquency was due to uncontrollable events - check with your local tax professional for more details.

While facts and circumstance can potentially save you, it’s still not as easy as filing an extension. With ExpressTaxExempt.com, you can complete and transmit your extension form, and get approved within minutes. And with our FREE downloadable ExpressTaxExempt - Form 8868 mobile app, you quickly and securely submit an extension on the go from your favorite iOS or Android device.

Our U.S. - based support team is available for any questions or assistance with e-filing - give us a call at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or send a message with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Principal Officer’s Role with Filing Form 990

When an exempt organization files its annual tax return, it’s typically the responsibility of the principal or primary officer to complete the filing. The officer can either finish and submit the 990 form on their own or outsource the work to a tax professional or CPA.

Whatever the principal officer decides to do, it’s important for that person to provide their signature to the tax return before it gets sent to the IRS. Here is some general information about principal officers and their role in filing the form 990 series.

Who is a Principal Officer?
A principal or primary officer can have many different titles within tax-exempt groups. It can be your organization’s current President, Vice-President, Director, Treasurer, Secretary, Chief Accounting Officer, or other corporate officers - for instance, a tax or financial administrator. People who are not officers are your regular employees or volunteers.

Does a Principal Officer have Authority to Transmit 990 Form?
With a small tax-exempt organization, the principal officer is usually the President or a Director, so that person does have supreme authority to submit to the IRS once finishing the return. For larger organizations, the officer may need approval from the President or other board members before completing the filing.

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, you can use our unique “Manage Approvers and Reviewers” feature which allows you to invite prominent members to a secure web portal via email. While there, they can review your 990 form, add comments or corrections, and e-verify with their signature. Have your entire board approve without managing multiple copies or wasting precious paper.

What Filing Details are Required About the Principal Officer?
IRS Form 990 and Form 990-EZ only ask for the officer’s name, title within the organization, and a daytime phone number. The IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) and Extension Form 8868 requests the same information with the addition of a mailing address.

If the primary officer is using a tax professional or a paid preparer to file the 990 series electronically, the officer is required to sign IRS Form 8453-EO. The form states that you are indeed an officer from a tax-exempt group and that you approve the return, and you give authorization for the preparer to file the form. It only requires the officer’s signature, date, and title within the organization.

Can an Officer File for Multiple Organizations?
If an officer is a primary member of each organization getting filed, then there shouldn’t be any issues. But if a principal officer of one group is filing on behalf of a different group without membership, then a signed Form 8453-EO is required from a primary officer of the different group.

ExpressTaxExempt.com lets you e-file for as many organizations as you need from just one account. We even generate your 8453-EO so you can print it, get the signature needed, and then upload the form into your account.

Call our U.S. - based, customer support team for any assistance needed with e-filing the form 990 series. You can reach us at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. We also over email support with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Reporting Sales of Assets for Tax-Exempt Groups

For many tax-exempt organizations with significant gross receipts, some of that revenue may have come from the selling of assets.

An asset is usually an owned item or resource with monetary value or worth. The seller of an asset typically receives some form of cash or an equivalent, while the buyer becomes the new owner of the sold asset.

Types of Asset Sales
With IRS Form 990 and 990-EZ, the federal government requires exempt organizations to report any sale of assets occurring within the filing year. The amounts receive count as revenue; however, there are assets that the IRS specifically asks for on the form:

  • Sale of Securities - Usually stocks, bonds, or options
  • Sale of Other Types of Investments - Includes real estate, royalty interests, or partnership interests 
  • Sale of Non-Inventory Assets - Contains program-related investments and an organization’s fixed assets in its related and unrelated activities
  • Sale of Capital Gains Dividends and Distribution - Involves your organization’s share of capital gains and losses from a joint venture, limited liability company, trusts or other entities treated as a partnership

Reporting Sales of Assets
On the Form 990/990-EZ, tax-exempt organizations can use the average cost basis method to calculate its gain or loss. When selling an asset, you typically subtract your sales price from the average value of the property. If the outcome is negative, then you took a loss in that sale.

Recorded Information of Assets
Your tax-exempt group must maintain strong records of sold assets in which market quotations are not published or readily available. The information should report the following:

  • Description of Asset
  • Date Asset was Acquired
  • Whether Asset was a Donation or Purchase
  • Date Asset was Sold and to Whom
  • Gross Sales Price of Asset
  • Cost or Value When Asset was Acquired
  • Expense of Sale and Improvements After Purchase, if applicable
  • Depreciation Since Purchase, if applicable

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, you can report your organization’s sales of assets quickly and easily with our streamlined, interview-style questions. Our internal audit check will also ensure you enter all the required information before transmitting to the IRS.

Feel free to contact our U.S. - based customer support team - 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or email us at support@ExpressTaxExempt.com - for questions or assistance e-filing your IRS Form 990/990-EZ.

Read More »

Form 990 Instructions for Exempt Organizations

Tax-exempt organizations are required to file an annual tax return with the IRS - this form is known as the 990 series, and it reports an organization’s total revenue, expenses, and activities.

Submitting an IRS 990 form every year is essential for tax-exempt groups to maintain their exemption status.

Failing to do so can lead to severe IRS penalties including automatic revocation of exemption status. Filing with incomplete or incorrect information also yields the same consequences. Here are a few guidelines to remember when filing a 990 form.

Accounting Period
Tax-exempt groups typically need to file their tax return by the 15th day of the 5th month after their accounting period ends. An accounting period, or tax year period, is a consecutive 12-month period which an organization operates. There are two types of tax years - calendar and fiscal. You can contact the IRS tax-exempt hotline (877.829.5500) and ask for your organization’s specific tax year begin and end dates.

Gross Receipts
The type of 990 form the IRS requires depends on your organization’s gross receipts or total revenues. For tax-exempt groups making over $200,000 a year, IRS Form 990 is mandatory to file. Organizations with gross receipts between $50,000 and $200,000 can file IRS Form 990-EZ. And small nonprofits or charities with less than $50,000 are responsible for filing IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard).

Requirements for a Complete Form 990
Preparing an accurate Form 990 or 990-EZ for your organization takes a considerable amount of time and paperwork. Both forms are several pages long depending on how many schedules you need to attach.

Along with your basic organization details, be ready to present information about program services, revenue, expenses, supplemental financial statements, net assets, balance sheets, a list of employees, other IRS filings, and tax compliance along with governance, management, and disclosures.

E-filing with ExpressTaxExempt
The best way to file a 990 form is through an IRS-authorized, e-file provider. ExpressTaxExempt.com is such a service offering cloud-based solutions to exempt organizations looking for a quicker and more accurate method of filing with the IRS.

The process is entirely simplified with interview-style questions, internal error checks, bulk upload of multiple contributions or donors, automatic schedule inclusion, real-time email notifications of filing status, and storage of transmitted returns.

You can invite board members to e-verify your completed form, and even gain access to a PDF copy after submitting to the IRS. If your return gets rejected, ExpressTaxExempt can point out the errors for you to correct and retransmit. You can even file amended returns for accepted filings if applicable.

It’s necessary for exempt organizations to remain current with their annual tax returns. ExpressTaxExempt.com makes it easy to e-file, but feel free to contact us at 704.839.2321, or through email with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com, for any questions about e-filing with the IRS.

Read More »

E-file Tax-Exempt Returns from Anywhere!

E-file Tax-Exempt Returns from Anywhere
E-file Tax-Exempt Returns from Anywhere
For those of you running small exempt organizations, you know that you’re required to file an annual tax return with IRS. Even if your nonprofit or charity brought in little or no money for the filing year, you still need to report that fact to the federal government.

Filing for tax-exempt organizations can take a lot of time and paperwork - or it used to. If your tax-exempt group makes less than $50,000 a year, you can now e-file your tax return in minutes with ExpressTaxExempt.com. And the best part - you don’t need to be anywhere near a desk or computer at all!

ExpressTaxExempt - Form 990-N App
With this FREE downloadable mobile app, you can e-file IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) at anytime and anywhere from your favorite iOS or Android devices and handsets. Complete the entire filing process in less than 10 minutes - all you need is your basic organization details, tax year period, and confirmation of $50,000 or less in gross receipts.

Your form is checked for any errors before you submit to the IRS, and you’ll receive an email confirmation of approval soon after transmitting your form. The information goes directly to the IRS and nowhere else. If your return gets rejected, the app identifies the mistake so you can correct it and resend with no additional charges.

ExpressTaxExempt - Form 8868 App
For other exempt organizations with gross receipts over $50,000, and you need more time to file your IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ, you can also e-file the IRS Form 8868 tax extension at your convenience from iOS and Android tablets.

You can e-file your extension in just minutes with your organization’s basic information and tax year period - you’ll also need to select which IRS form you typically file for your tax-exempt group. Like the 990-N mobile app, your return gets scanned for any mistakes, and you gain access to PDF copies of your transmitted tax form.

We’re here to offer you the easiest, most streamlined filing experience so you can stay compliant with the IRS and quickly get back to running your organization smoothly. Contact us at 704.839.2321 for any questions or help e-filing to the IRS. We’re also available 24/7 with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

E-file Form 990-N Before the Year Ends!

E-file Form 990-N
E-file Form 990-N Before the Year Ends!
There are only two full months left within the year, and if your small tax-exempt organization needs to file a tax return, ExpressTaxExempt.com has you covered. It’s not too late to transmit your IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) before the end of the year!

IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard)
The 990-N serves as an electronic notice and is for small organizations that make less than $50,000 - and that’s pretty much all you’re reporting to the IRS. There is no need for any exact amounts or schedules. The form is also electronic-only; you won’t find a paper version anywhere!

E-filing with ExpressTaxExempt.com
We make e-filing IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) as simple as 1-2-3! With our quick and easy steps, you can complete and transmit your form within minutes:

  1. 1. Create a FREE account at ExpressTaxExempt.com
  2. 2. Enter your Basic Organization Details
  3. 3. Select the appropriate Tax Year
  4. 4. Confirm your Gross Receipt
  5. 5. Review Summary and Audit Report
  6. 6. Authorize and Transmit to IRS

After submitting your 990-N, you’ll gain access to a printable copy of your e-Postcard summary and receive real-time email notification about your filing status. If the IRS rejects your e-file for any reason, we’ll identify the issue so you can make corrections and re-transmit at no extra cost!

IRS Penalties
There isn’t much of a penalty for filing Form 990-N (e-Postcard) late, which is why you still have until the end of the year to file. It doesn’t matter if your deadline was months ago - you’re still able to e-file.
There are consequences for not filing at all - fail to file for three consecutive years, and you’ll lose your tax-exempt status. You also can’t file an IRS Form 8868 extension form for e-Postcards. If you can’t file before the deadline, be sure to file as soon as possible afterward.

Important: The IRS e-filing system only supports three consecutive filing years at a time. As the new year begins, the oldest year gets dropped from support. These final two months will be the last time an organization can e-file for 2013. Your only option is to paper file IRS Form 990-EZ for any discontinued years.

Feel free to contact our U.S. - based, e-file professionals for valuable assistance or to answer questions about e-filing a 990 form. You can reach us at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or 24/7 day and night with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Common Form 990 Filing Mistakes

Preparing an IRS Form 990 takes a great deal time. The entire form itself is many pages long and littered with tons of IRS instructions, legal terms, and small print that can contribute to a stressful filing experience.

IRS forms are complicated, but providing complete and accurate information is key to avoiding IRS penalties. Here are three sections of the 990 form where people typically make the most mistakes, and how you can navigate through the difficulties.

Part VII - Compensation of Officers, Directors, Trustees, Key Employees, Highest Compensated Employees, and Independent Contractors
A lot of people seem to get confused at this part of the Form 990 because of the many classifications - some organizations may have one member with many roles, or don’t have any key employees, or don’t offer compensation at all.

For the majority of exempt organizations, you must list all your current officers, directors, and trustees first - whether they were paid or not. You need to include employees outside of an officer, director, or trustee role that were paid the highest along with amounts reported on their W-2.

Other situations may require you to list former officers or highest compensated employees that made over $100,000 during the tax year or former directors or trustees that made over $10,000 within the tax year. You’ll also need to list any hired contractor that was paid at least $100,000.

Part VIII - Statement of Revenue
A statement of revenue is exactly how it sounds; you’re stating every dollar amount your organization brought in during the tax year. It’s broken down into three broad categories:
  • Contributions, Gifts, and Grants - Money or the monetary value of items freely given to your organization by people or the government
  • Program Service Revenue - Money paid to your organization for providing a service or product related to your tax-exempt operations
  • Other Revenue - Money made from your organization through various ways like investments, royalties, rental properties, gaming activities, or inventory sales

There’s also a section for miscellaneous revenue, and this is what messes with people the most. Be sure to double, even triple, check your organization’s sources of income to make sure they fit within those three most important categories. If it doesn’t fit, that’s the only time you can count it as miscellaneous. Grouping any or every large sum as miscellaneous can harm your public charity status and even lead to an audit.

Part IX - Statement of Functional Expenses
Much like the statement of revenue; this time around, you’re stating each time your organization spent money. There aren’t any broad categories you can group expenses into; however, the IRS lists various cases in which an organization may need to spend money. And just like revenue, make sure your costs can fit the given conditions - lumping everything as a miscellaneous expense is like waving a red flag.

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, we break these parts down into full, stand-alone sections, so you aren’t squeezing everything into one page or one screen. We even offer our exclusive Bulk Upload feature in which you can upload lists of received contributions at once, and we’ll enter each of them in for you while you continue through your 990 form - get twice as much done in less time!

Contact our U.S. - based support team of e-file professionals for any help or questions about your filing experience. We’re available at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or reach us via email with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Foreign Charities Filing 990 Forms

In the nonprofit sector, it’s common knowledge that your tax-exempt organization must file an annual return with the IRS - this form reports your organization’s total revenue, expenses, and activities. But if your exempt organization is considered foreign, then filing may be different than your domestic counterparts.

What is Considered a Foreign Charity?
A foreign charity or nonprofit is an organization created outside of the United States, or any of its territories and possessions, which claims tax-exempt status on revenue earned within the United States. A big difference between domestic and foreign charities is that US contributions to foreign organizations are not tax deductible.

Why Should a Foreign Charity Have to File?
Foreign organizations are required to file an annual 990 return if the IRS recognizes it as tax-exempt, it receives more than $50,000 in gross receipts from U.S. sources, and it engages in significant activity within the U.S. other than investment activities.

If your foreign charity makes less than $50,000 in the U.S. or doesn’t participate in important US activities, you may be relieved from filing or choose to submit an IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard).

For those who want or are required to file, you must report values in U.S. currency along with the conversion rate your organization uses. Combine amounts that come from both outside and inside the United States and give the total for each - your information must also be submitted in English.

Which 990 Forms Should Foreign Charities File?
Based on your gross receipts from U.S. sources, you are required to file the same types of forms as domestic exempt organizations:
  • IRS Form 990 - U.S. gross receipts are over $200,000
  • IRS Form 990-EZ - U.S. gross receipts are between $50,000 and $200,000
  • IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) - U.S. gross receipts are less than $50,000
Important: Like many other domestic organizations, if your foreign group is a private foundation or subject to unrelated business income tax, you’ll file IRS Form 990-PF or Form 990-T respectively.

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, complete and transmit your foreign organization’s 990 return in a secure and accurate way that is quicker than paper filing. Our cloud-based service even supports physical addresses located outside the United States. We also scan your entire form for any errors so can send a proper filing the first time around.

Feel free to contact our U.S. - based, e-file professionals at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, with any questions or help with your 990 tax return. We also offer 24/7 email support with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

REMINDER!! Final IRS Deadline for the Year!

We’re in the last three months of the year. And just like every year, the final extended deadline for exempt organizations rolls around like clockwork.

For nonprofits and charities who filed extensions throughout the year, you still have a little over a month to file your tax return before November 15.

Which Organizations Must File?
Not every tax-exempt organization has the same final deadline - it depends on your tax year period and which forms you submitted during various due dates. Your exempt organization is required to file before November 15 if it fits each of the following criteria:
  • Operates on a Calendar Tax Year (January 1 to December 31)
  • Filed IRS Form 8868 Part I for the original May 15 deadline
  • Filed IRS Form 8868 Part II for the extended August 15 deadline

There are no other extension options after Form 8868 Part II, so you can either file on time or file late with possible IRS penalties.
Important: If November 15 is the original filing deadline for your organization, then you still have a choice of filing for an extension; however, your Fiscal Tax Year must be from July 1 to June 30.

Which Forms to File?
Exempt organizations must submit an IRS 990 form every year based on their gross receipts.

  • IRS Form 990 - Tax-exempt organizations with over $200,000 in gross receipts
  • IRS Form 990-EZ - Tax-exempt organizations with over $50,000, but less than $200,000 in gross receipts
  • IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) - Tax-exempt organizations with less than $50,000 in gross receipts

For the final extended deadline, you’re either filing the Form 990 or Form 990-EZ because there are no options for extending a Form 990-N (e-Postcard) filing.

IRS Penalties

If you fail to file on time, your organization could get charged $20 for each day your form is late, or a $100 daily charge if gross receipts are over $1 million. Maximum fees can reach up to $50,000 or 5% of your gross receipts.

As mentioned earlier, there are no extensions available after the November 15 deadline. If you file an incomplete form, the IRS will consider it a late return and charge penalties. If you file on time, but your form gets rejected, you have a 10-day grace period to file again.

With ExpressTaxExempt.com, our cloud-based service has everything you need to securely e-file your 990 form quickly and easily than paper filing. Let us streamline your filing experience - even if your form gets rejected, we can identify the issue, let you correct it, and re-transmit to the IRS instantly with no extra charges!

Contact our U.S. - based, e-filing experts at 704.839.2321 - Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST - for questions or assistance with transmitting to the IRS. We also offer email support with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

4 Surprising Tax Tips for Nonprofits

Successfully running a nonprofit or charitable group comes with many responsibilities - not only with your organization’s mission and activities, but also all the requirements to remain compliant with the federal government.

You already know to file a tax report to the IRS every year. You know that failing to do so for three straight years can void your exemption status. You know what to look for and how to report it, but here are a few less known tax tips found online that can benefit your organization in various ways.

Deductions for Volunteers
A great incentive for attracting volunteers to your organization is the tax benefits they receive for their service. Inform your volunteers how they can deduct various travel expenses such as oil changes, fuel, and mileage. Flight costs, food, lodging, and just about any other out-of-pocket expenses required for your volunteers to complete their tasks are tax deductible.

Receipts for Charitable Donations
It may be difficult at first, but try to establish a habit of writing acknowledgments for each donation your organization receives - you can create something as simple as a receipt or a “Thank You” letter that contains the following:

  • Donation amount
  • Date the donation was received
  • Proof or a reassure of exemption status
  • A statement of exchange for the donation, if necessary

You might not be obligated to acknowledge every $5 or $10 that comes to your nonprofit, but you should properly recognize anything in the hundreds of dollars or more.

Detailed Financial Documents
You never want a situation in which the IRS has you audited. But if you are, be sure you can account for every donation, expense, and revenue. With the various tax software available, you can organize and have your information readily available for any scenario. Make a habit of documenting your financial reports as soon as you get them. At the very least, it makes your tax season less stressful.

Fundraising through Crowdfunding
Though crowdfunding is proving as a viable alternative to traditional fundraising, it’s still subject to customary tax laws regarding donations. But just like regular donations, you’ll report the same information about contributions from crowdfunding. Whatever crowdfunding platform you choose, you can track donors, their monetary amounts, and even set up rewards for each donation.

Just as each nonprofit is different from the next, so is the tax situation for each exempt organization. Check with a tax advisor for any other surprising tax advantages - and when you’re ready to e-file IRS Form 990/990-EZ come to ExpressTaxExempt.com. Our streamlined, cloud-based service asks interview-style questions which report your organization’s revenue, expenses, and other activities for the year - without the time-consuming hassles of paper filing.

Contact our U.S. - based, e-file professionals for any questions or assistance with our services. You can speak with us at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST or send a message to support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Related Blog: Start a Nonprofit in 3 Simple Steps 

Read More »

3 Keys to Gain More Donors

3 Keys to Gain More Donors
3 Keys to Gain More Donors
In the nonprofit industry, it’s standard practice to request for donations or contributions - and there are many ways to secure supporters. One way that’s least chosen by small organizations is cringe-worthy persuasion.

When thinking about persuasion, most of us picture being sold something by any means necessary - or someone overly aggressive and a bit sleazy. But mainly, persuasion is getting someone to believe in something as much as you do.

And we persuade more than we probably think - any time you casually talk about your organization to someone, when explaining what you do, or when you acquire volunteers and members. Keep these three keys in mind the next time you need potential donors to become believers.

Convey Your Faith & Purpose

Remember your reasons for starting your nonprofit or charitable organization. Why do you want to make a difference or leave an impact? There clearly has to be a love or passion for the goals your organization is attempting to achieve. You don’t necessarily need to be extremely eager or excited, but understand that people can sense when you’re speaking with genuine interest rather than regurgitating facts.

Utilize the Three Cs

To keep your conversation on track, remember to be clear, concise, and calm - the three Cs. Consistency is important here - you’ll lose your potential donor by contradicting something you said earlier. Refrain from over sharing anything that doesn’t drive your point, and if you happen to be shy or an introvert, practice a few times until the process becomes natural.

Aim Beyond Donations

When speaking about your exempt organization, donations should be the bonus - not the goal. Your objective should be to get the donor enthusiastic about your nonprofit as much as you are. Nonprofits typically establish and maintain relationships with potential donors - you might not get that check right after the first meeting, but in the long run, the money will come as others begin to believe in you more.

After you’ve built donor relationships and start receiving donations, visit us at ExpressTaxExempt.com where you can enter or bulk upload your list of contributions, gifts, and grants. According to the IRS, you must report donations greater or equal to $5,000 on your IRS Form 990/990-EZ - you also need to submit donor information such as name and address for each contribution you report.

Our U.S. - based, customer support team are available to assist you with contributions or any other questions about the e-filing process. Give us a call at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. You can also contact us via email with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Don’t Get Revoked! Retain Your Tax-Exempt Status

For exempt organizations, the IRS requires that you file a tax return each year that reports your total revenue, total expenses, and activities. You submit these annual tax returns based on your gross receipts:

Keep Your Exempt Status
The easiest way to maintain your organization’s tax-exempt status is to file your mandatory 990 form each and every year. Even if you miss the deadline, which may result in IRS penalties, you should still file the return as soon as possible.
Having tax-exempt status allows your donors to write off contributions from their tax return, and it also keeps the federal government from imposing taxes on the income your organization brings in - so it’s important to maintain your status.

Losing Tax Exemption
Failing to file your 990 returns for three consecutive years is the quickest way to lose your exemption status automatically. You can use the EO Select Check to see if the IRS automatically revoked your organization - it’ll list the exact date the revocation became effective.

There are also other ways your organization can lose its exemption status such as participating in political or lobbying activities, but failing to file three years straight is an automatic loss - no questions asked. Conversely, there are particular types of organizations that are naturally exempt - they aren’t required to file a 990 form.

Reclaim Your Exemption Status
If you lose your tax-exempt status, you’ll need to file the correct application for exemption based on your gross receipts and pay the processing fee. You may even be eligible to request reinstatement back to the revocation date.

After you’ve obtained your exemption status again, the IRS may ask you to file 990 forms for the years you’ve missed. With ExpressTaxExempt.com, you have our easy-to-use, cloud-based service to e-file the 990 series for the available tax years within the IRS e-filing system.

You can also keep your tax-exempt status up to date by e-filing with ExpressTaxExempt.com every year. Contact our helpful U.S. - based support team for any questions about the e-filing experience. We’re available at 704.839.2321 - business hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, or you can email us 24/7 with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

Read More »

Need Further Help? Contact Us

Our live support specialists in Rock Hill, SC are always ready to offer professional service and assistance.


Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers related to e-filing IRS Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, 990-N (e-Postcard), Form 1120-POL and Extension Form 8868 with our Frequently Asked Questions.

Learn More

Start Now

Start now to e-file an exempt organization returns or file for a extension with ExpressTaxExempt.

Start Now