*Ahem* Attention! Calling all procrasti– uh… deadline extenders!
We know this may fall on some deaf ears as we just called on the attention of those of you who filed for not one, but two 3-month extensions of time to file your tax return, but here’s a heads up: the LAST day for organizations with their fiscal year as the calendar year to file their 990 form is in exactly one month, November 15.
Okay, it’s not exactly one month away; November 15 is on a Sunday this year so your last day to file is technically the 16th. Either way this is your month warning that you’ve got a deadline coming up. And if you’re supposed to be doing that 990 long form, you might really want to pay attention to that.
So here are some things to keep in mind as you go into your last month to prepare your tax-exempt organization’s return:
- Form 8868 cannot be used to extend the due date of Form 990-N (ePostcard). But, don’t fret: you can e-file this form at any time during the year without penalty (just don’t go three years without doing so – you’ll lose your tax-exempt status). And with Express990, you can still file your 2014 Form 990-N ePostcard for free!
- The last extended filing deadline is in ONE month, on November 16.
- Only Part I of Form 8868 automatically extended your deadline for filing, and it did so for 3 months. If you didn’t file Part II or if your Form 8868 Part II was rejected for the non-automatic 3-month extension of time, you might have only had one 3-month extension. You can contact the IRS Tax Exempt Hotline about penalties and instructions for filing late, (877) 829-5500.
- The last extended filing deadline, November 16, is in ONE month!
- If you have any questions or run into any bumps in your e-filing process while you’re filing your 990 form, the Express990 support team is here for you. You can reach us by phone, Monday – Friday, from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST at (803) 514-5155 or by email 24/7 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- November 16, the last extended filing deadline, is in ONE month!!