ExpressTaxExempt Blog

Made a Mistake On Your Form 990? We've Got You Covered!

You completed and transmitted your tax return on time - even better, the IRS accepted your form on the first attempt with no questions asked. However, after looking through your copy, you noticed that you misspelled a donor or employee name, your mission or program service statement isn’t entirely correct, or you forgot to include a last-minute fundraising event.

No matter what the mistake is, you need to make corrections and transmit this new information to the IRS as soon as possible. With ExpressTaxExempt.com, we have you covered with our amended return support for IRS Form 990 and Form 990-EZ!

Amended Returns
Your organization can e-file an amended return to either update or add information to a previously accepted form for the same tax year. IRS Form 990/990-EZ are the only returns applicable to amendments, and the updated returns must contain all the information requested by the form and instructions - not just the corrections.

If you need a copy of your organization’s previously filed return, you can submit IRS Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return - you can also visit the IRS website for information about getting blank tax forms. Your amended return is required to be available for public inspection three years after the amended filing date or the original filing deadline - whichever is longer.

E-filing Amended Returns with ExpressTaxExempt
To e-file an amended return with ExpressTaxExempt.com, you first must have e-filed your original tax return with our services. Also, the IRS needs to have accepted your original form - if you received a rejection, you can quickly make corrections and re-transmit your rejected form.

Before starting an amendment, you’re required to explain your reasons for changing your original return - this information can also include which parts and schedules of the original form that need changes along with descriptions of your changes.

You won’t need to start entirely over with an empty return. Our cloud-based technology carries over everything from your original form to your amended return - all you need is to go through your completed sections and make the necessary changes. Any new text provided or corrections made are automatically tracked and entered on Schedule O of your amendment.

Once you’ve completed your updates, you can transmit your form to the IRS. You can assure that your new return is an amendment as the “Amended Return” box is check marked in Item B of the Heading on Page 1 of your return.

If you have any questions or need assistance with the e-filing process, feel free to contact our U.S. - based customer support at 704.839.2321, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. We also offer email support with support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.


  1. Replies
    1. Hi Shah,
      Everything stated in the blog is entirely correct. Exempt organizations can file an amended return to the IRS if they realize their original form contains mistakes or incorrect information. If you paper filed the original return, that means starting over with a blank form and selecting "Amended Return" on the first page. If you e-filed the original with ExpressTaxExempt.com, you wouldn't need to start entirely over because all your information is automatically carried over to the amended return - this makes the process incredibly faster than paper filing, and you'll only need to make your corrections.

  2. Different people have different problems with filling the form 990 for the tax.There are several companies helping those people to correct the error or mistaked form on behalf of the candidate or consumers.They might have an essay website for understanding the facts and for making everything so simple and easier to get rid of that type of mistakes.

  3. Quick Question: if a nonprofit organization has gross receipts less than $50,000, but it has assets of about $200,000. is it eligible for filing 990N?


Need Further Help? Contact Us

Our live support specialists in Rock Hill, SC are always ready to offer professional service and assistance.


Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers related to e-filing IRS Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, 990-N (e-Postcard), Form 1120-POL and Extension Form 8868 with our Frequently Asked Questions.

Learn More

Start Now

Start now to e-file an exempt organization returns or file for a extension with ExpressTaxExempt.

Start Now