ExpressTaxExempt Blog

Form 990 for PTAs & PTOs

Wondering how PTAs and PTOs can make use of Form 990?

Here’s the considerations for Form 990 and Parent Teacher Associations and Parent Teacher Organizations.

Difference between PTA & PTO

The National PTA is a formal membership organization headquartered in Chicago with a 105-year history of working for children. Local groups that choose to belong to the PTA must pay dues to state and national organizations and abide by the rules set by those.

PTO is a more generic term. It usually represents the thousands of groups that remain independent of the PTA.

Responsibilities of PTA

PTA is committed to advocacy on behalf of all the children in the nation. The official PTA’s motto is “Every child. One voice.” PTA aims to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.

Exempt status & filing requirements

The official PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit association. A PTA starts local units through state-level associations. Each local unit is an independent nonprofit and is set up in accordance with state and federal laws.

PTOs can be started by anyone, but will need to go through their own process to become tax exempt.

If you have any questions about filing Form 990 for your PTA or PTO, reach out to the e-filing experts at ExpressTaxExempt by phone at 704.839.2321 or by email at Support@ExpressTaxExempt.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need Further Help? Contact Us

Our live support specialists in Rock Hill, SC are always ready to offer professional service and assistance.


Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers related to e-filing IRS Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, 990-N (e-Postcard), Form 1120-POL and Extension Form 8868 with our Frequently Asked Questions.

Learn More

Start Now

Start now to e-file an exempt organization returns or file for a extension with ExpressTaxExempt.

Start Now