ExpressTaxExempt Blog

IRS Form 990: Frequently Asked Questions

When e-filing the IRS Form 990, you might have some questions? Here are 8 FAQs that should help you out when e-filing your tax-exempt return through Express990.com:

1) What information is needed to file Form 990-N?
To file Form 990 you will need your Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Tax ID Number (TIN). You will need the correct Tax Year, Legal Name and Address, different names the Organization uses, principal officer details, website (if you have one), confirmation of gross receipts of $50,000 or less, and a statement that the organization is going out of business (if applicable).

2) What is the due date for Form 990-N?
The deadline for filing Form 990 is the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of the organization's fiscal year. If the organization is liquidated, dissolved, or terminated, file the return by the 15th day of the 5th month after liquidation, dissolution, or termination.

3) Who is eligible to file Form 990-N?
You may only file an e-Postcard if you are a tax-exempt organization that totals $50,000 or less a year in gross receipts.

4) Are there any penalties for not filing Form 990-N?
There is no penalty if you decide not to use the e-Postcard option, filing late or not filing at all. But an organization that fails to either send an e-Postcard or file Forms 990 or 990-EZ manually, the IRS will revoke all privileges and the organization will automatically lose tax exempt-status.

5) Is there an extension for Form 990-N?
Yes, there sure is! Use Form 8868, Application for Extension of Time to File an Exempt Organization Return, to request an automatic 3-month extension if the original 3 months was not enough time. To obtain this additional extension of time to file, the organization must show reasonable cause for the additional time requested. For a quick and easy way to e-file Form 8868, visit our sister product, ExpressExtension.com

6) Who are principal officers?
The current president, vice president, treasurer, assistant treasurer, chief accounting officer, or other corporate officer (such as the tax officer) qualify as principal officers.

7) Does my organization have to file the e-Postcard if it is a subordinate organization in a group exemption?
If the parent organization added the subordinate organization to the parent's group filing, you are not required to file an e-Postcard. If your parent organization failed to file and your annual gross is $50,000 or less you are still required to file an e-Postcard. You must get in contact with your parent organization to verify your standing in regards to the list of subordinate organizations for the IRS> Otherwise, your parent organization will have to contact the IRS and mail a request in writing for the information to be updated to:

Internal Revenue Service
1973 North Rulon White Blvd
Ogden, UT 84404-5402
ATTN: M/S 6273

8) Can I go to the IRS office to file?
Unfortunately no, the e-Postcard can only be filed online.

If you have any further questions about e-filing your Form 990, please don't hesitate to call the Express990 support team, located in Rock Hill SC via phone: 704.839.2321 email: support@expresstaxexempt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need Further Help? Contact Us

Our live support specialists in Rock Hill, SC are always ready to offer professional service and assistance.


Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers related to e-filing IRS Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, 990-N (e-Postcard), Form 1120-POL and Extension Form 8868 with our Frequently Asked Questions.

Learn More

Start Now

Start now to e-file an exempt organization returns or file for a extension with ExpressTaxExempt.

Start Now